Thursday, September 14, 2017

Life is Full of Ups & Downs - Part 13

ON REPAIRS - AFTER GRACE BUILDING

Eventually the modernisation job came to an end and we relocated to other jobs, several of which I can recall with ease:-

Tomasetti House
I think that this building was located on the corner of Kent & Bathurst Streets. (The Google Maps photo is of the building we worked in....I think). It was down the back of the Town Hall, if memory serves correctly, but it's hard to recognise many of the older, insignificant, buildings now that their facades and surroundings have changed over 50+ years.

EDIT. 25-October-2017
My thanks to Bob Deahm for correcting my original location, which I had as Sussex & Bathurst Streets.
Bob is sure that address was "Sunderland House" and I agree.


I'm not sure exactly what the repair job was at Tomasetti, although I do remember rewiring door locks and doing some "stuff" in the motor room.

The bods on the job included myself, Dave Rutter, George Farham, the Hudson brothers...Kevin and Dennis... and another apprentice by the name of Frank, who wore glasses.
(More of Frank below, under Washington H. Soul Pattinson).
It was at this job that George Farham threw away his perfectly good pliers after he latched onto what he thought was the end of a bit of old VIR wiring. It was in the somewhat dark and dingy lift pit that this incident occurred.
When George gave the "wire" a good yank the skin of a decomposed rat appeared...complete with eye-watering odour. George tossed his pliers - and rat - across the pit and that was the last he saw of both!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
332 Kent Street
Not sure of the crew on this one or even what the work entailed (other than setting a lot of conduits) but I can definitely remember working here because it was directly opposite the Kent St. entrance to Radio 2UW ....... "Eleven-ten on your dial"!
We would watch Ward "Pally" Austin arrive & depart in his Cadillac, usually with a group of teenage girls hanging around the door waiting for him.
This is what the two buildings look like today......looking north, with 2UW on the left and our building on the right.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Washingon H. Soul Pattinson, Pitt Street.

I have mentioned this building in an earlier item but we now come to the time when an electrician by the name of Helmut Nehls (nicknamed "Crash-hat" by George Farham!), the mysterious Frank and myself were doing something electrical here.
I refer to Frank as "mysterious" simply because I know nothing else about him - can't recall his surname and I don't think I ever worked with him other than here and at Tomasetti House.

The drama occurred.....SEE THE FACTUAL DETAILS IN FRANK'S REPLY, BELOW MY INCORRECT VERSION! .... when Frank was standing in front of the control board ready to test which of the 415 Volt A, B and C phases had dropped power.
Instead of using a test lamp (every electrician carried a test lamp in his leather bag), for some weird reason Frank took one wire and touched it to one of the other two!
Needless to say, the two he touched were the live ones.
There was a blinding flash accompanied by a very loud BANG! and the entire building lost all electrical power and, from what I understand, so did several other adjacent premises.
Frank was very lucky that he was wearing glasses because at the very least they prevented flash burns to his eyes and quite possibly saved his eyesight. As it was his face was blackened and he had no eyebrows left.
I think he went up to Sydney Hospital (Macquarie Street) for first aid.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

  1. Funny about that; I am 'that' Frank but the story is not as recorded here and it is one that I never forgot because it was an impressive event for a 2nd year apprentice.

    We were there to replace the lift submains and Helmut (I had forgotten his name) had just disconnected the existing cables from the CFS at the bottom of the main switchboard panel, he was crouching down and I was looking over his shoulder.

    He was the one who brought those2 wires together to check if they were alive. BANG!

    The next thing I remember is seeing flames from the corner of my eyes (all I could see straight ahead was a big white blob from the flash), the service fuse had caught fire (I guess it would have been a type of HRC), flames were coming out of the cast iron housing and licking at a bunch of old VIR covered wiring behind the switchboard/meter panel.

    Helmut was dazed and not reacting so I broke the council seal on the fuse enclosure and beat the flames out with a pair of leather gloves. The pharmacy was without power for ages.

    When the SCC inspector turned up he started to abuse me for breaking the seals but he quickly backed off when I asked if he preferred that I let it burn instead. My vision came back within minutes, Helmut lost a lot of hairs on his hands and arms; neither of us needed medical help or had to go to the hospital

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FRANK!!! WOW!
      How great to have you read this little blog and to respond with your clarification....the real story.
      My apologies for getting the facts muddled - 45+ years plays tricks with the memory. No wonder anecdotal stuff is never regarded as pure fact unless confirmed by those directly affected.
      Great to hear from you and my sincere regards. Best wishes for Christmas and 2019.

      Delete
    2. Please don't worry about that original story, we all know what passing years can do to our memories.

      Thank you for those wishes; of course mine are heading your way too.

      This blog brought back many memories and if you like I can write some of those down and send them via email to you. To prevent our regular email addresses being swiped by spam robots, if we post them here, I created a temporary one where you can contact me; I’ll then reply via my regular email address and drop or delete this temporary one.

      My temp address: @outlook.com
      (Just add arnoldtemp in front of the @ to complete it)
      Cheers,
      Frank

      Delete